Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sick but Blessed

I'm sick.


I woke up last night with a fever, chills and a cough that was driving my poor husband crazy.  Neither of us slept well.  He got up before the sun came out...I slept in long after the sun came out.  The girls and I had big plans for the day: the beach with friends, frozen yogurt on the way home, and church tonight.  We were so looking forward to the plans we had.  Instead, my sweet girls spent the entire morning (and better part of today) taking care of me.


They both woke up, got themselves breakfast, quietly came and sat on my bed, and turned the TV on waiting for me to wake up.  When I did wake up, I tried to get out of bed, but my precious oldest daughter said, "No, Mommy.  You need to lie down today."  My body felt so weak, I didn't argue with her.  She then whispered something to her sister and they dashed out of the room.  I closed my eyes and tried to suppress the cough I felt coming.  I couldn't fight it, I erupted in a coughing hysteria.  When I opened my eyes, both my girls were standing in front of me.  My oldest had a bottle of water and a bottle of Advil in her hands.  The youngest had the thermometer and the Vick's Vapor Rub in her hands.  Both had looks of concern on their faces.  They proceeded to bring me water, snacks (which consisted of Fritos and Cheetos...I didn't eat them, but I smiled and said "thank you"), take my temperature, and snuggle with me.


When I finally drug myself into the shower, I discovered when I got out: a pair of jeans, a shirt, and a pair of shoes were laying on my bed. They had picked out my clothes for me for the day.  The oldest told me she is my "Special Nurse" and the youngest told me she is my "Special Person to Make You Feel Better."  Sweet girls.  Sweet blessings.


Today I've been praising God for letting me be a Mom...especially the Mommy of these 2 girls.  I think of Psalm 127:3&4, "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are children born in one's youth."

I know my children are like arrows...someday, my husband and I are going to have to shoot them out into the world.  So with that in mind, I cherish sweet moments like today.  I'm going to remember their sweet voices whispering to me that I'm going to be ok, and I better drink all my water, and not to get out of bed one more time or they will tell Daddy.  I'm going to remember someday that they thought it was perfectly reasonable to bring Cheetos and Fritos as a snack to a sick person.  So today, I'm thankful I'm sick because it brought me to an acute realization of how very blessed I am, and when I think of how blessed I am it causes me to worship and praise the God who blesses me, so undeservedly.

I know this isn't how I envisioned the day...it's not the day I had promised them, but even though my body feels awful, my spirit is filled with joy.

Me and my girls.  *Disclaimer: this pic was taken a few days ago.  No, I will not post a picture of myself while sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment