Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lessons From a Widow

In my previous post, I mentioned that my Bestie was on the trip of a lifetime in Israel...well, she wasn't alone.  She was there with her husband, my sister and brother-in-law and 200 people from our church!  Several of our pastors took this gargantuan group on a tour of Israel, seeing some of the most important places described in the Bible.  My husband and I were pretty bummed we couldn't make it this time around, but look forward to going in the future should the Lord will.

Upon their return, my Bestie and Sis let me know they had brought me back something from Israel.  They wouldn't give it to me until they were both present (which took almost a week for all of us to get in the same place at the same time), but when they did I was (and continue to be) blessed by their gift.




What is it?  Oh, I'm so glad you asked!

Inside this necklace sits a mite, a small copper coin, and there is a pretty phenomenal story about a coin like this in the Bible...

Luke 21:1-4 
Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.  And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them.  For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Did you catch that?  She put in all she had to live on. ALL SHE HAD TO LIVE ON! Wow.

I think there are a couple important things to note about this passage of Scripture.  First, the Bible describes this widow as "poor."  The Greek word used here expresses extreme poverty...not the kind of "poverty" that we see here in Orange County...real poverty. Completely destitute.  Utterly and completely poor.  Surely, someone in this extreme situation is not one we would normally see in the position of giving.

Second, Jesus says she gave more than all of the others.  How does that make sense?  Monetarily speaking, there probably wasn't anyone who came close to giving as little as she did.  She gave what would be considered about 1/4 of a penny.  She gave practically nothing.  And yet, she gave everything.

The poor widow in this story demonstrates a complete reliance on God's provision.  She knew who allowed her to have the copper coins to begin with, and she gave them back to him out of a heart of obedience, worship and sacrifice.

I know that everything I have belongs to the Lord and he wants me to use all that I have to serve him and his church. While I may not ever be in the position where I have to give my last 2 pennies,  Paul said,
I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. 2 Corinthians 12:15a
Paul was willing to spend his financial resources and be spent (physically and emotionally) for the sake of the Corinthians.  As my husband and I prepare to enter into the Fall, which for us, is a busy season of ministry, the widow and Paul challenge me to spend and be spent for the glory of God.  I want to have a faith like the widow's: a heart that trusts God completely, obeys him wholly, and sacrifices all for his glory. I'm so thankful for the coin hanging around my neck that reminds me of her example.


From left to right (my Sis, my Bestie, and me), wearing our Widow's Mite necklaces.

1 comment:

  1. Finally got a chance to read this. What a special gift. Praying God reminds you of His deep love for you when you wear it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete